Wow! To believe that I most days I feel like nobody reads my blog at all! Then to have someone, a published author no less, acknowledge my efforts and feel like telling people about the thing is really exciting.
So, to begin, I will thank Samantha Anderson (samanthaandersonauthor.com) for nominating me for this award. Thank you Samantha. I hope we can talk and I can get some more feedback about what you do and don’t like about my writing. As an author, I’m sure can understand the value of constructive feedback. And, to be honest, I didn’t think anyone would actually make it through all 26 of my A-to-Z challenge posts! Rush is a touchy subject, but I love the music and I tried to tie it all in to my other love: writing. (and it WAS, indeed, a challenge to complete.)
Secondly, it seems that I am supposed to list 11 random facts about myself. That’s a bit difficult without straying into my normal, quasi-sarcastic, humor-tinged style, but I’ll give it a go. (Wait: didn’t I just… oh well)
1. My dream car is a 1967 Mustang Fastback.
2. I have a Master’s degree in English from Weber State University.
3. I have been retired from the Air Force for just over 3 years.
4. I am more sentimental/emotional than most people would believe after meeting me for 5 minutes.
5. I still consider myself an unpublished author, even though I’ve gotten a few works printed in my college grad journal (www.weber.edu/Aelurus)
6. I am currently writing 2 novels, and I switch between them whenever one goes cold on me. 1 has been rattling around in my head for 20 years, the other for a few months.
7. I once got a paper proposal accepted to a conference that I won’t name by submitting an abstract that I wrote in 10 minutes. (Unfortunately, I was unable to attend and never wrote the paper. Too bad; it would have been good!)
8. I’m not a slow writer. I just tend to line/copy edit as I go, so basically every page I complete has undergone 3 drafts, which is incredibly time consuming.
9. I believe that Bruce Campbell is an incredibly underrated actor, hence my ever so humble comparison to him on my blog.
10. It is my most fervent wish to complete the novels I have going, along with the several that are still in my head and have a publisher/agent say “yeah, this doesn’t totally suck; let’s print it up!”
11. A lot of days, I feel like a fraud.
And there you have it. That’s a few fun facts about me (and my writing process).
Now, the truly hard part: picking 11 blogs to nominate for this award….here goes. I suppose technically these are supposed to be blogs with <200 followers or something, but I also gather that this award is a rather nebulous kind of thing, and rules are made to be bent/broken/ground into dust, right?
BUT REMEMBER: the fact that someone thought enough of your blog, even ONE SINGLE POST, that it left an impression means that you must be doing something right, right?
So here’s my 11 nominees, in no particular order:
Tim Gallen @ http://dailygallen.com
HarsHRealiTy @ http://aopinionatedman.com
bloggingforagoodbook @ http://bfgb.wordpress.com/
“Charlotte” @ http://itsmecharlotte.wordpress.com/
Karen @ http://donotgetsickinthesinkplease.wordpress.com/
todayiwatchedamovie @ http://todayiwatchedamovie.com/
Sarah Gawronski @ http://strangelittledreams.wordpress.com
Chris Miller @ http://www.millerchris.com/
Nicole Kirkman @ http://bartonhollow.wordpress.com/
The Nelson Agency @ http://nelsonagency.com/pub-rants/ (I include this one because I love the no-nonsense style they have concerning being agents and seen actually concerned with helping writers get published!)
Kassie Rutherford @ http://kassierutherford.com/
I have found something worthwhile in all of the above blogs, and while I can’t guarantee that you will, check them out and see.
And now for the 11 questions that these lucky people will have to answer. Please link the post with your responses into the comments section of this post. And if you don’t “get” a question, just skip it.
1. Paper or plastic?
2. Dog or cat?
3. SEC football: hype, reality, or “what the hell’s the SEC?”
4. Novel or short story?
5. Fox or CNN?
6. Your house is burning. You can only grab one book before its too late. What do you take?
7. Did Oswald act alone?
8. Biggest impediment to your writing?
9. Ron Paul: bat-shit-crazy or crazy-like-a-fox?
10: Favorite author?
11. Did you even get this far down the list before you went “this is stupid”?